Wednesday, November 4, 2015

21 Day Fix and Running


Happy Wednesday! Today, I want to share how I add strength training, specifically the 21 Day Fix workout program, into my marathon training plan. If you have read my previous posts, you know that I am following a marathon training plan that I purchased on the My Heart Races Blog.  

When I trained for previous races I struggled to integrate strength training into my regimen. You can read more about my struggles with strength training here.  

I am not currently a member of a gym and have a hard time motivating myself to get to the gym. I really like being able to workout at home. About a year ago I discovered Tone It Up and Karena and Katrina (K &K). I love, love, love K & K's Youtube videos and all of the recipes on their blog/website. While I started strong, during this past spring/summer I lost motivation to follow their weekly workout schedules. So, I thought that if I found something new, it would motivate me to start a more defined strength training program.

Then I discovered the 21 Day Fix.  For those that do not know, the 21 Day Fix is a Beach Body program that comes with workout DVDs and a nutrition program. The DVDs have seven different workouts plus a 10 minute ab routine. The plan also includes a weekly workout schedule. However, I tweak the schedule to compliment my training my runs (more on that below). The nutrition program comes with awesome portion control containers and it explains how much of each container you should eat every day. 

So far, I have been hooked. It also helps that I am in a challenge group with other women that are completing this program or other workout programs.  I should note, that I still LOVE Tone It Up and try to do at least one or two of their workouts per week. I am also participating in Tone It Up's current Fall Charity Challenge.


Here is an example of what my workout plan looks like for a typical week.

Monday -- 7 mile tempo run & Abs

For abs work I will either do the 10 minute ab workout from the 21 Day Fix program, or I will do one of Tone It Up's ab workouts. This one is my favorite.

Tuesday -- Lower Fix and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)/Cardio

I like to do a lower body workout on Tuesday because it gives my legs plenty of time to recover before my long run on Friday. Because it is a cross training day in my marathon plan, I also like to add some cardio. I really love Tone It Up's HIIT workouts. I usually do this one or this one.  The Cardio Fix from the 21 Day Fix is also great!

Wednesday-- 5 mile easy run & Upper Fix

The Upper Fix is an abs and arm focused routine. I really like this routine because it works some of my most neglected muscles. I have zero upper body strength, but that is changing!

Thursday-- Pilates Fix & Foam Rolling

In my marathon plan, Thursday is technically a rest day. The Pilates  Fix is very low impact, but still leaves me feeling like I got a workout! It is a great compliment to everything else. I should be foam rolling every day, but I try to make extra time for this on Thursdays.

Friday-- 20 mile long run

Because I am not working right now, (I start my next job in January) I like to get my long run out of the way on Fridays. This way I have the weekend to be with my friends and family. Also, Fridays tend to be a quiet day, so I can just relax once my run is finished.

Saturday - Yoga Fix & Abs 

Yoga Fix helps stretch out and rest my legs. My legs are always pretty stiff and tired after my long run on Friday. On Saturdays, I also try to do some ab work and take my dog for a long walk. When doing ab work on this day, I try to avoid any exercises that engage my legs or hip flexors because these muscles are already very tired and overworked. Usually after yoga I will do 20 crunches, 20 sit ups, and 20 bicycle crunches and then repeat that series twice.

Sunday - 4 mile easy run & Dirty Thirty

The Dirty Thirty workout is my favorite from the 21 Day Fix program. It is a full body circuit workout that makes you feel strong and awesome when you finish (haha)! I also like to do some extra stretching and foam rolling on this day.

When I follow the schedule above, I end up skipping one of the 21 Day Fix cardio routines, but I get plenty of cardio through my training runs. I could double up a run day with a cardio workout, but I want to make sure that my body is getting adequate rest and recovery time. So, skipping a cardio routine is the balance that I have worked out. 

21 Day Fix containers 

Nutrition 

As a I mentioned, the 21 Day Fix program also has a meal plan/nutrition component to it. For this, you determine your calorie bracket according to the formula in the meal plan. Depending on your bracket, you are allotted a number of containers each day. I did this, but bumped up my calorie bracket by two since I am running in addition to completing the workouts. Also, I am not necessarily trying to lose weight. My goal is to gain some muscle and fuel my body appropriately for my marathon training. Even though I have bumped it up, I still do not stick to my containers exactly. I do try to follow the general guidelines of the program by eating fruits and/or veggies with every meal, getting the recommended amount of protein for my calorie bracket, and limiting processed, starchy foods like bagels and pasta. But, I definitely eat more yellow containers or carbohydrates than I probably should. I justify this by the fact that I am running, but I should work to replace these extra starchy foods with veggies or protein.

I have also started drinking Shakeology. This is a nutrition/protein shake also made by Beach Body. I drink the vegan chocolate and I usually drink it after my run or after dinner as a dessert. I do not usually like shakes, but Shakeology is delicious!

Overall, since following this schedule and completing the 21 Day Fix workouts, I feel stronger in general and during my training runs. My legs also seem to recover quicker from my long runs. I have also noticed some slight definition in my arms and legs-- always an added bonus!

If you have any questions about the 21 Day Fix please feel free to send me an e-mail (runninginteralia@gmail.com), or post a comment below. I recently became a Beach Body coach/rep (you get discounts on products as a coach) and would be happy to provide any additional information.

I could not resist using this meme ;)

Thank you for stopping by,
Alyssa
@runninginteralia

P.S.

Thanks to an improbable turn of events, including Monday Night Football overtime and an Andrew Luck interception, I won all three of my fantasy football leagues! Let me know if you think I should do a fantasy football related post :). #toomanyleagues







No comments:

Post a Comment