Thursday, November 19, 2015

The Need for Speed



As the Seattle Marathon gets closer-- it is next Sunday (AHHHH)-- my thoughts keep creeping toward my speed and my previous race times. I usually finish my races somewhere in the middle of the pack, and I am learning to be OK with that.

I went through a period where I cared a TON about my speed. I set a time goal for my last half marathon, and I constantly did speed workouts, hill repeats, and intervals to try to improve and reach my goal come race day. I am a slightly competitive person and pretty goal orientated. So having a time goal for a race gave me a ton of motivation to complete my workouts and push myself. This was great! However, for me, this focus on my speed drained the fun out of running. I ended up slightly injured and discouraged when my race time did not improve. I had to take a few weeks off from running to heal, and this gave me time to reevaluate why I run and why I was so focused on my speed. After some soul searching, I made a new goal: keep learning and improving. I told myself (and keep telling myself) that the speed part will come with time. 

With social media, it is easy to see other runner's speeds. This makes it equally as easy to compare myself to others and get very down myself and my abilities. But really, it doesn't matter! I am not doing this professionally, I do it because I love the feeling I get during and after a run. I feel empowered, strong, healthy, and oh so happy! Plus I love getting a daily dose of fresh air. 

After saying all of that, I do not want anyone to think that I think that it is bad to focus on speed or that speed workouts will cause injury. They call them races for a reason! And, there is a safe way to incorporate speed workouts into your training. Plus, I would love to set a PR (personal record) in a half marathon someday and I would love to qualify for Boston at some point in my life (probably a looooong time from now). 

While I have these goals, I know now, that it is important for me to occasionally take a step back and remember why I lace up my running shoes. I just want to be a little bit better than I was yesterday. I plan to run as long as my legs and body will let me. If that means, I have to do it a little slower than others, then so be it :) 




I do not have a time goal for the Seattle Marathon. This is partially because it is my first one. Mostly though, I do not want to feel any pressure while I am running. I want to enjoy the course and every step of the race. 

Is anyone else running the Seattle Marathon? What are you most excited and nervous about? 

Thank you for stopping by!
--Alyssa 


No comments:

Post a Comment