Monday, October 19, 2015

Training Update

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday! Today I started week 11 of a 16 week training plan for the Seattle Marathon. This is my first time training or racing at this distance. I thought I would provide an update on how my training is progressing. Just a warning, this post is longer than normal. 

I am super excited for the marathon because I will be running it with one of my best friends! She lives in New York, but is coming to the Pacific Northwest for Thanksgiving and the marathon. Knowing that we are in this together provides the extra motivation I need to get through my training.
Laura and I in Washington, D.C. in 2013
I began training for this race in late July. I purposefully started my training plan two weeks early because I knew I would be on vacation in Europe and would take a complete break from running while I was gone. By starting early, I would get a complete 16 weeks of training under my belt before race day.

Before I jump into my training update, I want to provide a little background. In June, I ran the Seattle Rock 'n' Roll half marathon. This was such a fun race! If you have not done so yet, I highly recommend trying out a Rock 'n' Roll raceWhile the race was really fun, the day after I experienced a sharp and lasting pain in my right foot. Before this injury, I had aches and pains, but nothing that completely prevented me from running for more than a day or two. So I panicked. I thought for sure, my foot was telling me that I needed to quit running. But, I love running! I visited a podiatrist who told me that I had very low flexibility in my ankles and calves and that this likely was causing my foot pain. He provided me with some exercises to do three times a day, and he also recommended that I take at least three weeks off of running and focus on strength training and flexibility. "THREE WEEKS?!!" I thought that there was no way I could go three weeks without running. I would go crazy. I am not a member of a gym, how can I strength train?! Panic, panic, panic! haha.


I turned my panic into action and immediately joined a gym and convinced myself I should start swimming. I bought a swimsuit and goggles on Amazon the same day as my podiatrist appointment. At my new gym, I was connected with a personal trainer who was also a runner. She provided me with exercises and helped me develop a workout schedule. This schedule involved at least three days a week of strength training, stretching everyday, and one day devoted to yoga. I also tried to swim (so hard! I sink) and used the elliptical for some low impact cardio. After about two weeks of diligently doing my stretches and not running, my foot pain subsided. After the full three weeks, I slowly began running again. I gradually increased my mileage and the amount of days I ran per week. By mid-July my foot was back to normal and I was running without pain.  That experience taught/reminded me that I need to strength train and stretch consistently. Also, my body can heal. One injury does not mean that I will never run again. I just need to patient.

Around the time my foot healed, I committed to running the Seattle Marathon. I set a goal to keep up my strength training three times per week and to do yoga once a week. To train for the marathon I am using a training plan that I found on My Heart Races Blog. It is the plan for beginner marathon runners. I also like the first timer's marathon plan from Women's Running Magazine. I purchased the My Heart Races plan because it comes with race day and training tips. The plan involves four days of running, one cross training day, and two rest days. I like this set up because it gives me plenty of flexibility to incorporate other workouts and to get adequate rest.

The first two weeks of following the training plan went pretty smoothly, but things took a turn around week three. Week three I ran a nine mile long run and the next day I noticed a pain in the ball of my left foot. It was not too bad, so I kind of ignored it and continued with my normal running and stretching routine hoping that my foot would heal itself. Big surprise, it did not! Even though I felt pain, I kept running the miles indicated in the plan (BAD idea). After a hilly six mile run, my foot finally had enough. I woke up the next morning and it was slightly swollen and extremely stiff. It hurt to put pressure on it. Panic ensued. Negative thoughts crept (more like leaped or sprinted) into my mind: "Maybe I am not built for running." "I cannot run a marathon, what a dummy to even think I could." 

I decided to take the next week off from running, and to focus on strength training and low impact cardio. Unfortunately, around this time I was in transition and dropped my gym membership. But, fortunately I discovered the 21 Day Fix through a friend on Facebook. I immediately ordered the program and figured this would be a good way to stay in shape and motivated as I waited for my foot to heal.

The week off actually ended up being really fun. Once the negative thoughts and anxiety subsided, I looked up workout classes in my area. So not only did I have the 21 Day Fix to start, but I also tried Fly Wheel for the first time and went to Barre 3 classes. Fly Wheel is so much fun and a great low impact cardio option! I stretched and massaged my foot constantly. With time off of running, the pain in my foot quickly went away and the next week I picked up where I left off in my training plan. That next week of running went smoothly. I occasionally woke up with some foot pain, but as I stretched and warmed up it immediately went away. I completed my 10 mile long run and was really happy with how it felt.

At this point, I was a week behind where I wanted to be before I left for Europe. I decided that to catch up I would skip week six of the training plan, but that I would run that week's scheduled long run distance before I left. I took two days off after my 10 mile run and then ran 12 miles. I stretched a ton and then left for Europe the next day. I did not run at all while we were in Europe, but we did walk a ton. My foot held up pretty well. I brought my foot rubz massage ball, which I mentioned in my September Favorites post, and used it when any pain flared up.

When we returned from vacation, I started week seven of the training plan. Most of my training runs that week went way better than I expected after over two weeks off. The long run was a different story. The long run that week was 14 miles, and it knocked me on my butt! This run was so hard. My legs felt heavy and I had trouble regulating my breath. I wanted to quit so many times. My head was filled with negativity. I took many walk breaks, but nothing was really helping. I kept pushing, and by mile 13 I was so frustrated that I forced myself to run the fastest mile I could. My legs were throbbing and shaky, but my pace did quicken and I did finish. After wallowing for a little bit, I tried to stay positive and just stick with my plan. 

Week 8 started with a six mile tempo run (1 mile warmup, 4 miles at my race pace, 1 mile cool down). This run felt great and my confidence was slightly restored. My long run that week was 13 miles. It felt so much better than the week before. I was back!

Week 9 also included a 6 mile tempo run and a 16 mile long run. I was so nervous for the long run! I did everything in my power to prepare the best I could. Before leaving the house I reminded myself that I could walk if I needed, and that I could go as slow as I wanted. Although I got lost and diverted from my route several times and it was pouring rain the whole time, this was the best run!! My legs felt light and I fueled and hydrated well before and during the run. I came home and made a victorious batch of Kodiak Protein Pancakes. Side note: this is the best pancake mix! You can find it at Fred Meyer and Target.


Last week, or week 10, included a seven mile tempo run and a 18 mile long run. I was also in the middle of moving, so my schedule was all over the place. I planned to run the 18 mile run on Friday. However, on Thursday I did not fuel or hydrate well at all. I was distracted with unpacking and I did not eat my normal meals and did not drink enough water. Despite my gut telling me to postpone this run to give myself a day to fuel and hydrate properly, I ran the 18 miles. The first 9 miles felt great. Then something happened. I got incredibly thirsty and my legs felt like bricks. I took in more fuel. Then my stomach hurt. I drank all the water I had in my fuel belt by mile 11. If not for a glorious water fountain at mile 13, I think I would have called an Uber to get home. I wanted to quit, but I just kept telling myself, "it does not matter how slow you go, just go." I shuffled all the way to 18 miles and threw my hands up in the air when I finished. Then I stumbled the remaining quarter of a mile home. By the time I got home, I was nauseous and shaky. I showered, ate two whole wheat toaster waffles with Nuttzo (the BEST nut butter) and two bowls of cereal. Then I sprawled out on the couch for three hours. My boyfriend brought me some turkey jerky, which I scarfed down with some goldfish crackers. Soon I was a normal, functioning human. My diet, however, leaves something to be desired. More on that later. I took Saturday off from running and did Yoga Fix and drank a lot of water. Then on Sunday, I ran 3 easy miles that felt great. Because my body felt good, I also did the Dirty Thirty workout from 21 Day Fix.

Every run, especially every long run, I learn something about myself and how to best prepare for the next run. After 10 weeks of training for a marathon, I have learned that patience and positivity are key! Staying positive makes the whole process WAY more fun. But, this is also much easier said than done. I am working on it :)
You can find this fun poster on Etsy. I think I need it! 
I am continuing to learn what works for me, and I am excited to share what I learn with you!

Thanks for stopping by,
Alyssa
@runninginteralia

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post! This was so nice to read because I have had some issues with my training as well and your post reminded me that it will be okay and we will get through this! I can't wait to run the marathon with you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I cannot wait to see you!

      Delete
  2. This was a great post! You are so motivational Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete