Monday, November 30, 2015

Race Recap - Seattle Marathon 11.29.15



I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! 

As I am writing this, I am in complete disbelief that I ran a marathon yesterday (my sore legs should tell my otherwise). I feel like I trained and prepped for this race for such a long time. All that prep and training was worth it! 

Without further rambling, here is a recap of the race and the events leading up to it. On Saturday -- the day before the race-- I met up with Laura at the Race expo at the Westin Hotel in Seattle. Laura flew in from New York City to spend the Thanksgiving weekend with her family in Bellingham, WA (about an hour and a half north of Seattle). She took the bus down to the expo on Saturday.

We both got VIP treatment at the expo because I am an Amica Insurance customer and Amica was the major sponsor of the race. This meant we got to skip the line to get our numbers and received  goody bags with some little extras. So that was fun! Then Laura and I walked around the expo and collected as many free samples as possible. Laura and I had not seen each other in a long time so we were trying to catch up as we walked around a very busy expo. We left pretty quickly. But everything at the expo was well organized. Also, the participant/finisher shirts we received were really nice! 




When we got back to my house, our friends, Malia and Jenny, came over and my boyfriend made a big pasta dinner for all of us (he's the sweetest!). He made the sauce from scratch and it was absolutely delicious. After we ate, we chatted and caught up. Malia and Jenny left around 8:30pm and Laura and I got ready for bed soon after. We both drank a Nuun before bed and I gave Laura her early Christmas/marathon gift. It was a necklace from Erica Sara Designs that says 26.2 on the front and on the back I had it customed engraved with the date of the marathon. I got one for myself too :) 

All of the carbs! 

www.ericasara.com
We had to wake up at 5:30 a.m. For a pre-race breakfast we both ate two whole wheat toaster waffles with peanut butter and drank some coffee. Then I called us an Uber. I did not want to deal with parking and driving, so the Uber seemed like the easiest way. Our driver was so sweet and dropped us off as close to the start line as possible. We arrived at the start line around 6:45 a.m. It was so, so cold. I think it was around 30 degrees and very foggy and damp. I checked the weather incessantly the day before, and it looked like the fog was supposed to burn off by 10 a.m.

Laura ended up switching her entry to a full marathon walk because she was dealing with a tight and sore hamstring and wanted to have a little extra time to finish. Her start time was 7:15 a.m. My start time for the full marathon run was 8:15 a.m. I watched Laura start and saw her off by ringing a cow bell that volunteers handed out to spectators! 


Starting line selfie! 
Then I went into the Armory at the Seattle Center where it was heated and there were real restrooms. I did some warmup exercises and stretches. At around 7:40, I made sure all my gear was in order, my hat was on securely, my shoes were tied, my fuel was all set, etc. I put all my extra gear into my bag and headed over to gear check. I debated for so long about what to wear. I knew it was freezing out, but if the fog burned off and the sun came out, I would get warm. So I decided to ditch the lightweight pullover I was wearing and just go with this long sleeve shirt and a tank top. I also wore these leggings, mittens, a headband, ear warmer, and a light hat. 

After checking my gear, I made my way to the start line. I was so nervous, but also excited. When I was waiting at the start line, I was actually pretty warm. I think this was because of all the racers in close quarters. I set up my playlist and my Garmin and then it was GO time. 

The first mile, was tough as it always is. I was trying to get my legs underneath me and trying to make my way through the crowd. The crowd actually was not as bad as other races. By mile 3 I hit my stride and felt great. I was definitely a little cold, especially my hands, but I figured I would warm up as I kept going. At mile 4 I took my first Clif Blok and grabbed a water at the aid station. They had aid stations every two miles, which was perfect! 

The next 8 miles flew by! I took a Gu at mile 8 and washed it down with water. Once this hit, I felt unstoppable. My legs felt fresh and I was enjoying every step. I was doing it - I was running a marathon!! 

I knew my parents and boyfriend were going to try to meet me at mile 11 and so I started keeping an eye on the crowd around mile 10. I absolutely love the crowds along race routes. My favorite sign said "this is a lot of work for a free banana." It made me chuckle out loud. I found my parents and boyfriend at mile 11. It was so great to see them!! I gave them a giant group hug and continued on with even more energy. I took my next Clif Blok at mile 12. However, I did not plan this one right because I had to wait another mile before getting water to wash it down. There was a race clock at mile 13. As far as time, I was right where I wanted to be. As I said in a previous post, I did not have a time goal for this race, but I did know where I should be if I was running well. 

Something happened at mile 14 and I got really cold! At this point I was running around Seward Park and the wind was pretty strong and the fog was still thick. My hands were frozen and I started to wish that I had that pullover.  I started to lose my stride and my legs felt a little tired. I kept telling myself that I would get my Gu soon and that the fog would burn off and I would warm up. At mile 15, when I was pretty freezing and felling a little low - I saw my parents and boyfriend again!! They had decided to stick around and see me as I looped back. It was so great to see them and it completely lifted my spirits! 

At mile 16 I took my next Gu and washed it down with water. I actually walked through this aid station. This felt good, but I got really cold. So I immediately started running and I tried to pick up my pace a bit to get some more energy back into my legs. Things felt good for a while, but I had studied the course map and I knew the last 10k of the race was going to be tough. 

At mile 20, I took my next Clif Blok with water and I tried to mentally prepare myself for the hills to come. At mile 20 there was a doosy of a hill - I mean straight up! I tried to run all the way, but I had to walk. Walking was the wrong choice. My legs immediately seized up and I found it hard to catch my breath because the air was so cold and damp. So, I decided that I had to keep running the rest of the way, even if I was shuffling along. This was the only way to keep my legs somewhat warm. The next 6 miles are a bit of a blur. It took everything I had, mentally and physically, to get through those 6 miles of hills. I actually think that the downhills were the worst part. Running downhill hurt my joints and stung my freezing legs. My stomach was also acting weird so I decided to not take any more bloks or Gu and instead I stuck with Gatorade and water at the aid stations. This actually worked pretty well and kept my stomach in check. 

By mile 23, all I could think about was a hot shower. My hands were freezing and felt numb. But, by this point my legs were in a rhythm and I just had to keep moving. By mile 24-25, there was a bit of lull in the hills and I actually regained some strength. Then came a monster of a hill around 25.4 miles. This hill was tough, but a really great song came on my phone and I was just pumped to tackle it and get to the finish line! At mile 26 I started to tear up a bit. I was going to do it! I was going to finish a marathon!! I was so happy, cold, and tired (all the emotions!! haha). Because the course leveled out, I was able to push my pace for the finish. 

As I crossed the finish line, I threw my hands up in the air from excitement! I was so happy to be done and so happy that I did it. That was the hardest run of my life and I do not know if I have ever been that cold for that long. But I finished!  



Laura had finished a few minutes before me, and she was there to greet me at the finish line. She gave me the biggest hug and her warmth felt amazing. I was a little teary and was having some difficulty breathing. Then I saw my parents, my boyfriend, Malia, Jenny, and Laura's parents. They all gave me giant hugs! And it felt so good to see their smiling faces! I have the best support group. I am so, so thankful for them! 

I went to the recovery area, which was heated. However, it was really stuffy and loud in there. I began to feel really nauseous so we went back outside. Laura and I took pictures with our medals. My boyfriend gave me some GoldFish crackers and I felt so much better. Side note: I wonder if Goldfish/Prepperidge Farm sponsors average, non-elite marathon runners?? If so, they should contact me ;). 



I hugged Laura goodbye and she and her parents left for Bellingham. Then my parents went to get our car and my boyfriend and I went to get my gear at gear check. I ended up getting us  lost haha (very typical of me) and then decided that I needed to use the bathroom. So we ended up walking around basically the entire Seattle Center. I think this actually ended up being a good thing because it helped my legs loosen up. Once I got my gear, we found my parents and they drove us home. 

The second I got home, I jumped in a hot shower. I stayed under the hot water forever! It felt amazing. My boyfriend made me some warm chili. It was so yummy, but my stomach was being super weird. So I ate as much of it as I could and then drank my post long run "cocktail" (tart cherry juice with sparkling water). I also ate some leftover cranberry bread that my boyfriend's mom made on Thanksgiving. SO yummy! Then I parked myself in front of the TV and watched football for the rest of the day. Perfect recovery in my opinion! Later on, we ordered pizza and salad. Unfortunately my stomach was still acting funny. So I only had one piece and a little salad. Then it was bed time! 



If someone had told me four years ago that I was going to run a marathon, I would have told them that they were crazy! But, I did it! I loved the entire training process and could not be prouder of Laura and myself for accomplishing our goal! 


"It always seems impossible until it's done"
-Nelson Mandela 

Laura and I want to run a marathon every year together. The plan is to run a race in a different city each year so we can travel together -- two of my favorite things, traveling and running, with one of my favorite people in the entire world! Can't get better than that. 

Thank you for stopping by! 
--Alyssa 
@runninginteralia 

P.S. 
Even though the marathon is over, I am going to continue this blog!  Please let me know if you have any post requests. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! It was such a special weekend and I am so happy we did this together!

    I am so proud of you, you motivated and inspired me through this whole process with your dedication to the training and you can see that all of that dedication really helped you in the marathon! You ran it so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! I had a blast with you. Let's plan the next one :)

      Delete
  2. Happy to know about your marathon! I am looking for comfortable alo yoga pants for my running marathon too which is in couple of weeks. I am planning to order one online and hope it will be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete