Friday, October 30, 2015

Banana Protein Oat Muffins


Happy Friday! Below is the recipe for my favorite muffins. It is based on a recipe I found on Pinterest here. These muffins are great for a quick breakfast, a post run snack, or a sweet, healthy treat for dessert. Each one is packed with protein and potassium.  

I made these last night while I watched the Oregon Ducks football game. (#skoducks!) I love cooking and/or baking while I watch sports. It makes me feel like I did something productive during the game and I have a yummy meal or treat to eat! Win-Win!



Without further adieu, here is the recipe: 

Ingredients 
2    Ripe bananas 
1    Cup nonfat greek yogurt (I like the Trader Joe's brand or Fage) 
1/4 Cup honey 
2     Eggs 
1     Tsp of vanilla 
2 1/2 Cups rolled oats 
1     Scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use Perfect Fit, but I think that Vanilla Shakeology or another brand of protein powder will work)
2     Tsp of baking powder 
1     Tsp of baking soda
2     TBSP of ground flax seed 
1     Tsp cinnamon 

Optional Add-ins 
1/2   Cup dark chocolate chips 
1/2   Cup raisins and/or craisins 
In the batch I just made, I added dark chocolate chips and raisins, but you can also add walnuts, chia seeds, or hemp seeds. Go wild! 

Directions
1.    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pans or line them with muffin wrappers. 
2.    Mush up the two bananas in a large bowl. Once the bananas are mostly mushed up, add in the yogurt, honey, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until the bananas are no longer chunky and everything is well integrated. 
3.    Add in the rolled oats, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, flax seed, and cinnamon. Stir until there are no dry chucks left. 

In the original recipe, the directions say to put the oats into a food processor and pulse a few times. The original recipe also has you add all the ingredients into a food processor to make the batter. However, I do not think that the food processor is necessary. I think that the muffins will be lighter and fluffier if you do use it, but I kind of like them a little dense. 

4.    Once everything is mixed well, place about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. 
5.    Let cool and enjoy! 

I like to pop one in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds and top it with Nuttzo or honey.

The muffins keep the best in the fridge or freezer.



If you make these muffins, comment below and let me what you think. Better yet, take a photo of your muffins and tag me on Instagram (@runninginteralia) and use the hashtag #muffinsinteralia so I can see them! 

Thank you for stopping by!
--Alyssa
@runninginteralia 


2 comments:

  1. I have two ripe bananas and was just thinking about what I should do with them, this is perfect!! I'll do a follow-up post once I've made them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely let me know what you think! If you have a food processor, you could give that a try and let me know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete