Monday, November 9, 2015

October Favorites & Random Thoughts During a Long Run


I ran 140 miles in October. I think that is the most I have ever run in a single month. I am pleased to say that my legs and feet are hanging in there (knock on wood). 

I realize that we are over a week into November, but I wanted to share some of things that I loved during October. 

Pukka Tea - Three Ginger

I found this tea at Whole Foods. Honestly, I bought a box because I loved the packaging. I am kind of a sucker for pretty packaging. This tea did not disappoint. The ginger flavor is pretty mellow, but still very refreshing. It is perfect after a rainy, cold run.

Apple Crisp 

I love this recipe that I found on Karlie Kloss' YouTube Channel. 

Oatmega Bars 

These bars are delicious! I am always searching for the perfect protein bar. I love Clif Bars but they are little on the sugary side. These bars are low in sugar, high in protein, and taste like a brownie! Since I discovered these, I have carried one with me everywhere. You can order them in bulk on Amazon and I found them at Whole Foods.

Nuun 

This is an every month favorite. These little drink tabs are packed with electrolytes and low in sugar. My favorite flavors are watermelon and lemon lime. 

Bark Thins

Just yum. I have a weakness for chocolate and these dark chocolate pieces are my favorite indulgence. I love the dark chocolate pretzel flavor, but you really can't go wrong. 

Gu Salted Caramel 

I never used to take Gu as fuel. I always used Clif Bloks for Chomps. But, I wanted to give Gu a try because it seemed like an easier way to get a boost of calories quick. I read a race rundown on JBirdRuns blog where she had mentioned that salted caramel was her favorite flavor of Gu, so I decided to give it a try. It was really good. Way better than I expected. Now this stuff comes with me on every long run. 

Joggers from Fabletics 

I only wear jeans or real pants if I have to. This means that around the house, I wear a lot of yoga pants or sweats. I ordered these joggers from Fabletics and they are so soft and cozy that I never want to take them off. If you order these, I would recommend getting them a size longer than you normally would. Mine are little short. 



Now or Never by Kendrick Lamar (featuring Mary J. Blige)

This song is on Kendrick Lamar's last album, good kid, m.A.A.d city. My boyfriend told me to add it to my running mix, and I am so glad I did. During my last few long runs this song has come on during some low moments and provided a needed to make it to the end. I also listen to it around the house, in my car, and when I am walking my dog. I just love it. 


Here are a few random thoughts I had during my last long run 

"Am I really going to run 22 miles?!"

(Beyonce song comes on) "I still really want to learn the 'Single Ladies' dance." (Step in a puddle and snap back to reality.)


"I wonder if Kendrick Lamar goes running?" I have a lot of Kendrick Lamar on my running mix, maybe too much-- I do not think that is possible. (#dontkillmyvibe). 

"Should I stop at that bathroom? I think I will be okay." (2 miles later) "I really should have stopped at that bathroom, why is my bladder the size of a peanut?!" TMI, sorry....

"What mile was that? Was I supposed to take a Gu or Blok at this point?" 

"When I get home I am going to eat a blueberry bagel with Dad's homemade jam and butter. Oh! and eggs... and greek yogurt with the pumpkin granola... and an oatmega bar... and goldfish crackers...and a turkey sandwich"

"Come on lady tell me that I am at mile 21. I feel like I have been on mile 20 for an hour!!"

"One foot in front of the other, you can do anything! Just keep swimming!"

"I did it!!!!!!! Bring on the bagels!" 


This is what I ate after my 22 mile run. So many liquids.

What do you think about while you are on a long run?

Thank you for stopping by, 
Alyssa 

2 comments:

  1. http://2dopeboyz.com/2015/03/25/kendrick-lamar-reebok-run/

    Kendrick Lamar played a concert on a truck moving slowly backwards while concert goers run a 5k after him. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete