Thursday, December 17, 2015

Recipe: Vegetarian Lasagna


I love pasta and cheese! Recently, I started experimenting with different lasagna recipes and I think I found/created one that is delicious! While, it is delicious, it is not the most healthy. SO much cheese! But, it is also loaded with spinach, zucchini, and lean protein. So it is not that bad ;)

Because this recipe makes several servings it is great to make for a large group, or, if like me, you love leftovers, it can provide lunch or dinner all week long.

 
I had to show off my fun wine glasses. :)
My mom got these for me as a Christmas gift a few years back and I love them!
Plus, cooking is SO much more fun with wine.

Ingredients

1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese 
1 cup low fat cottage cheese 
1 egg
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried basil)
1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tbsp fresh oregano)
1 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 white onion 
2 cloves of fresh garlic 
2 cups fresh baby spinach (I highly recommend using fresh rather than frozen spinach) 
4 cups marina sauce (choose your favorite, but I really like Newman's Own Marina) 
1 lb box lasagna noodles (I used oven ready noodles. If you use regular noodles, just make sure to cook and drain them before layering) 
  • Side note, I could not find whole wheat, oven ready lasagna noodles at my usual grocery store. If you know of a brand or where to find such noodles, please leave it the comments below. Thank you!! 
1 1/2 cups cooked vegetarian meat (you can also use ground turkey or beef if you desire). I like the Light Life crumbles. 
2 large zucchini, thinly sliced 
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups cooked vegetarian meat (you can also use ground turkey or beef if you desire). I like the Light Life crumbles.  
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese 

Directions 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Peel and chop garlic and onions. In a pan heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is clear and aromatic. Once cooked, place in a large bowl. 
3. Using the same pan, heat your vegetarian meat crumbles (or brown your turkey, beef, etc.). 
4. While your meat is heating/cooking, in the bowl containing the cooked garlic and onion, combine ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, egg, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, basic, garlic powder, oregano, and spinach.
5. Spray bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray (I like to use an olive oil based cooking spray, but you can also pour a little olive oil on the bottom of the dish and spread with a paper towel). Then add a layer of sauce. 
6. Top with a single layer of noodles (about 3 strips per layer). 
7. Spread half of the ricotta cheese and spinach mix on the noodles. Then add an even layer of the veggie crumbles. Finally arrange half of the thinly sliced zucchini on top. 
8. Add another layer of sauce and a thin layer of mozzarella cheese. 
9. Top with noodles, second layer of ricotta mixture, meat crumbles, the remaining zucchini, thin layer of mozzarella cheese. 
10. Add another layer of noodles, spread with marina sauce, and top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. 
11. Cover with nonstick foil and bake for 30 minutes; uncover and bake additional 20 minutes or until browned. 
12. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting (definitely follow this rule! I did not and it was a cheesy mess). 

(makes about 10 servings) 





I made this lasagna on Monday night before the New York Giants beat the Dolphins on Monday Night Football (Go Giants)! Since the Giants won when I made this recipe, I will now I have to make it before every game (superstitious much?!). How fun is the NFC playoff race?!! I also have two fantasy football teams in the playoffs, so football is on my brain (if you can't tell haha).  

Back to the topic of cheese and pasta, if you make this recipe, please let me know what you think! I hope you like it! 

Thanks for stopping by! 
-- Alyssa
@runninginteralia 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really good recipe that is worth trying. Even though I'm not a vegetarian, I do like some of the vegetarian foods that they have to offer. I also like that there are plenty of servings that you could make from this recipe. This is good for either feeding a large group or eating for days.

    Felicia Curtis @ Amelias Balboa Island

    ReplyDelete